3 Easy Decor Tips for a Spring Front Porch

When we bought our house, one of the things that I compromised on was not having a large front porch. As a result, I’ve struggled to decorate the porch so it looks the way that I want it to without being overcrowded with decor. I think I finally found that balance this year, so I want to share my 3 easy decor tips for a spring front porch that will work no matter the size of your porch!

3 Easy Decor Tips for a Spring Front Porch

Layer up outdoor mats and rugs.

Even though we have a small front porch, we have a HUGE front step and landing area. So, regular size doormats can look too small and get lost. Easy solution? Layer it with an outdoor rug! This is a fun way to add pattern and/or color to the front step, and it helps the doormat stand out. Both the home sweet home doormat and striped outdoor rug are from Target.

outdoor black and white striped rug layered with doormat

Use decor at varying heights.

I definitely struggled with how to explain this in words – ha! The simplest way that I can explain it is to put out decor, plant stands, flower pots, etc., that are different heights. On our porch, the chalkboard sign stand gives height. Then, my antique flower crock and accent watering can balance out the other side with medium- and shorter-size decor. This keeps everything looking balanced without having to be symmetrical and matchy-matchy on either side of the doormat.

front porch chalkboard signRed Wing antique flower crock with handles

Don’t forget the flowers (and a pop of color!)

Duh – a spring front porch is nothing without fresh flowers and a pop of color! I’m not able to plant a lot of flowers in the ground around our house because of all the trees and shade, so I look forward every year to planting my antique crock. This year, I went with a mixture of pink double impatiens, white alyssum, and variegated vinca vine. I can’t wait for it to fill out!

pink double impatients with white alyssum and varigated vinca vine in Red Wing antique crocksimple modern farmhouse spring front porch decor

Now you have my 3 easy decor tips for a spring front porch. This definitely isn’t anything fancy, but I think it works as a foolproof method for those of us just learning how to decorate outside. Hopefully this will give you some inspiration if you plan to get to work during the long holiday weekend! 🙂

Have any front porch decorating tips? I’m all ears!

Say something ...

1. Loveeee the layering of door mats, definitely stealing that idea! Especially the ones you picked. I just love how cohesive the decorating of your house is, it all looks so well done and put together! Goals, Karly.

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
    • You’re so sweet, Emily! Thank you! It’s definitely been fun trying to tie in the outside “decor” with the inside stuff.

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
  2. The layered welcome mats is brilliant! And your porch is so cute + inviting!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 5.28.17 Reply
  3. Your home is just the cutest! I love the rugs and that cute planter. I have a similar one.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 5.25.17 Reply
  4. Christina Sotherden wrote:

Love the idea about layering the rugs! I’m definitely going to do that!

Posted 5.25.17 Reply
  5. Mes Voyages à Paris wrote:

Woww!! I love it! Great post!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: HEART STAIRS AND CHLOE SUNNIES

Posted 5.25.17 Reply
  6. Love all of this! Especially the flowers and fun pop of color <3

Posted 5.24.17 Reply
  7. The Adored Life wrote:

Come design my front porch!!!! It’s so cute!

The Adored Life

Posted 5.24.17 Reply
  8. Great tips and love that doormat!
    ~Samantha

Posted 5.24.17 Reply
  9. OMG, the layering of rugs is genius!!! We have a really wide front door and I have always struggled with not being able to find a rug that fits well. Great idea!!

Posted 5.24.17 Reply
    • Glad I’m not the only one who struggled with this! An outdoor rug layered with the doormat makes alllll the difference.

Posted 5.28.17 Reply
  10. Ashley wrote:

I love fresh flowers, especially on a front porch! It makes the entire space look even more inviting.

Posted 5.24.17 Reply

Your porch looks really cute and very welcoming, exactly how you want it to be! The layered rug and doormat is such a great idea!

Posted 5.24.17 Reply

The one thing I wish we had was a front porch but alas a condo doesn’t really come with that!! Next house I really want a big front porch to show off pretty potted plants & door mats – which we have, but just on the inside LOL! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 5.24.17 Reply
    • And, I bet the inside of your condo looks just adorable! 🙂 Something to look forward to whenever you have a porch!

Posted 5.28.17 Reply
  13. I love the way you layered the door mats! And that flower pot is so pretty! Great tips!

Posted 5.24.17 Reply